Monday, October 28, 2013

#4 - 10/28/13. Praying for Rain

"Elijah was a man just like us.  He prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the land for three and a half years.  Again he prayed, and the heavens gave rain, and the earth produced its crops." ~ James 5:17-18


My child has a broken brain.  My children have behaviors that psychologists and psychiatrists say will likely never get better.  My child has HIV and/or Hep C because of their mother's violent drug use, and then because she nursed her when she was born.  The court hearing is coming up.  No one is listening to me, and I believe my child(ren) will be molested when they go back home to their bio family.

As foster parents, we carry weights that many can only connect with by watching some cop/court show on TV, or a Lifetime drama.  But, for us, it's reality.  Who do we turn to?

Foster care can often be the black hole of isolation.  It's a vortex that sucks us in with turmoil, chaos and often despair.  Many times, we forget to reach out.  We isolate.  There are so many problems going on in our home, and so much to conquer on a daily basis, that we can't afford to branch out to a church function, or we can't imagine dealing with the behaviors that will ensue from our children during, or after such events.  So we stay local.  This isn't good, or bad.  It just is.

Elijah, I can imagine, was a pretty lonely man.  He carried heavy, unimaginable burdens for God's precious people.  He was constantly on the run for his life, and trying to balance his daily trials with holding the word of the Lord. He was instructed by God to speak God's word to Israel's leaders, in order for the people of God to repent and return to God instead of worshiping idols.  In fact, Elijah was the "only one of the Lord's prophets left" (I Kings 18:22).  That's a pretty big job! Do you ever feel like you are the only foster parent left?

At one point, Elijah found himself alone, and hiding in a cave, afraid he would be murdered. Now THAT is stress.  He was so stressed, that at one point he told God, "I have had enough, Lord, he said, 'Take my life; I am no better than my ancestors.'" (I Kings 19:4)

When I read that, it makes me laugh out loud.  I have BEEN THERE.  We all think we're going to change the world, or we wouldn't have signed up to become foster parents.  But if we're in it long enough, we all have times where we tell God, in essence, forget it! Just kill me and find someone else, because I'm no better than any other person on this planet, and can't do anything to change anything.  Or maybe I'm the only one who's felt this way. :)

Back to the book of James, James references Elijah as being "a man just like us". You see?  He wasn't anyone special, without God.  This passage talks about "the prayer offered in faith (James 5:15), and also that the "prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective" (James 5:16).  If we have accepted Jesus, we ARE righteous.  That means that our prayers are powerful and effective!

Have you ever thought your prayers could make the rain stop for three years?  And that, with another prayer God would hear and move and cause rain to fall?  I urge you, fellow brothers and sisters, who are plowing this difficult field, pray! Pray a prayer that is offered in faith.  Believe! Expect!  What does your child need?? What needs to happen in their biological family?  What do you need?? What does your marriage need?? 

Jesus bore it ALL for us, so that we could pray OUT OF VICTORY.  Today, don't come beaten down, mumbling out a measly prayer that you think hits the ceiling and falls back down.  Walk into God's presence, fully assured of His grace and love, and BOLDLY ask the all knowing, wise and powerful God for whatever you need.  Whatever you desire.  He is here. He is listening to us.  Offer a prayer of faith, now...

~E.S.



x

No comments:

Post a Comment